Political Contribution Refund

Political Contribution Refund Receipt Books may be obtained by contacting Board staff at 800-657-3889 or 651-539-1180, or by e-mail at cf.board@state.mn.us

Note: The state government omnibus budget bill passed in 2015 suspends the political contribution refund program. Contributions made after June 30, 2015, and before July 1, 2017, are not eligible for refunds under the program. The following provides information on how the political contribution refund program would operate if it were not suspended.

Individuals who contribute to a registered political party or to a state level partisan candidate who has agreed to limit expenditures are eligible to apply for a refund of their contribution. For purposes of the political contribution refund (PCR) program, only monetary contributions qualify for the refund. Receipts forms may not be issued to contributors who donate goods or services.

The maximum refund contributors may receive is $50 per person or $100 for married couples. The program is available to individuals who are eligible to vote in Minnesota. Those individuals may file only one refund application per year and there is no opportunity to amend the PCR.

To receive a refund, a contributor must:

1. Get a receipt from the political party or candidate to whom the contribution was made.
2. Fill out Form PCR (for the year in which the contribution was made), which can be obtained from the Minnesota Department of Revenue.
3. Attach the receipt to the application (Form PCR) for the appropriate year.
4. Mail the application form and receipt to the Minnesota Department of Revenue at:

Minnesota Political Contribution Refund
Minnesota Department of Revenue
St. Paul, MN 55146-1800

The refund program is not tied to the state income tax form. PCR forms must be filed separately. A taxpayer may file a claim for the PCR immediately after making the contribution. Claims for contributions made during one calendar year may be filed during that calendar year and must be filed not later than April 15th of the next calendar year.

Call Joyce Larson at 651-539-1188 or 800-657-3889 if you have questions about the PCR program.

  • Participation in Contribution Refund Program

  • Department of Revenue Information Page on Political Contribution Refund Program

  • 2014 Refund Application Form (Dept. of Rev.)
  • 2015 Refund Application Form (Dept. of Rev.)

  • Definition of Contributions for Purposes of Issuing a PCR (Dept. of Rev.)