An individual who communicates with public or local officials or urges
others to communicate with public or local officials becomes a lobbyist
after the individual:
- Is paid more than $3,000 in a year from all sources for lobbying,
- Spends more than $250 on lobbying, or
- Spends more than 50 hours in any month if the individual is a non-elected local
official or an employee of a political subdivision
Lobbying includes attempts to influence:
- Legislative action,
- Administrative action (the amendment, adoption, or repeal of administrative rule), or
- The official actions of a metropolitan governmental unit.
Individuals must register within five (5) days of meeting the definition of lobbyist. Once registered,
the lobbyist must file periodic reports.
Registered lobbyists and the association they are lobbying on behalf of are covered by the provision of
Minnesota's gift ban.
Contact Marcia Waller at 651-539-1187 or 800-657-3889 or email@example.com
if you have questions about registering as a lobbyist.
Contact Jeff Sigurdson at 651-539-1189 or 800-657-3889 or firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have questions about whether you need to register as a lobbyist or about the gift ban.