STATE OF MINNESOTA
CAMPAIGN FINANCE AND PUBLIC DISCLOSURE BOARD
FINDINGS IN THE MATTER OF THE ACCEPTANCE OF
A CONTRIBUTION DURING THE REGULAR 2002 LEGISLATIVE SESSION
BY THE FRIENDS FOR (HUBERT H. (BUCK) HUMPHREY IV) HUMPHREY COMMITTEE
In a letter dated July 15, 2002, Ken Martin, Campaign Manager for the Friends for Humphrey Committee, stated, " I am writing to report that the Humphrey for Secretary of State Campaign accepted a check in the amount of $100 from a lobbyist on 4/2/02. This contribution was not returned prior to the 60 day limit.“ The regular 2002 Legislative Session was held from January 29 to May 20, 2002.
This matter was considered by the Board in executive session on July 24, 2002.
Based on the record before it, the Board issues the following:
STATEMENT OF THE EVIDENCE
1. The Friends for Humphrey Committee reported accepting a contribution on April 4, 2002, of $100 from a lobbyist registered with the Board. The regular 2002 Legislative Session was held from January 29 to May 20, 2002.
2. The Committee’s campaign manager notified the Board of the acceptance of the contribution from a registered lobbyist during the regular 2002 Legislative by letter received by the Board on July 15, 2002.
3. Board records show that this is the first calendar year in which the Friends for Humphrey Committee reported acceptance of contributions from registered lobbyists, political committees or political funds during the regular legislative session.
Based on the above Statement of the Evidence, the Board makes the following:
FINDING CONCERNING PROBABLE CAUSE
There is probable cause to believe that the Friends for Humphrey Committee violated Minn. Stat. §10A.273 by accepting a contribution from a registered lobbyist, during the regular session of the Legislature in 2002.
Based on the above Finding Concerning Probable Cause, the Board issues the following:
1. In lieu of forwarding the above public finding of probable cause to the county attorney in Ramsey County to pursue a judgment in district court, the Board imposes a civil fine of $100 on the Friends for Humphrey Committee for acceptance of a contribution during the regular 2002 Legislative Session, and directs the Committee to return the contribution to the lobbyist.
2. The Friends for Humphrey Committee is directed to forward to the Board payment of the civil fine, by check or money order payable to the STATE OF MINNESOTA, within thirty days after receipt of this order. Accompanying the check should be a letter signed by the candidate stating that the contribution has been returned to the lobbyist.
3. If the Friends for Humphrey Committee does not comply with the provisions of this order, the Board’s Executive Director shall refer this matter to the Ramsey County Attorney for civil enforcement pursuant to Minn. Stat. § 10A.273.
4. The Board investigation of this matter is entered into the public record in accordance with Minn. Stat. §10A.02, subd. 11, and upon payment by the Friends for Humphrey Committee of the civil fine imposed herein, the matter is concluded.
Allan H. Spear, Vice Chair
Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board