STATE OF MINNESOTA
CAMPAIGN FINANCE AND PUBLIC DISCLOSURE BOARD
FINDINGS IN THE MATTER OF THE ACCEPTANCE OF CONTRIBUTIONS
DURING THE REGULAR 1998 LEGISLATIVE SESSION
BY THE (HUBERT) HUMPHREY FOR GOVERNOR COMMITTEE
The Report of Receipts and Expenditures ("Report"), covering January 1, through December 31, 1998, filed by the (Hubert) Humphrey for Governor Committee, #13682, ("Committee") disclosed that it had accepted a $100 contribution on March 6, 1998, from CUVOL, a political fund registered with the Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board ("Board"). The regular 1998 Legislative Session was held from January 20, to April 9, 1998.
By supplemental note submitted with the Report on January 29, 1999, Deborah Olson, treasurer for the Committee, notified the Board of the Committee's acceptance of one additional contribution during the regular 1998 Legislative Session, a $50 contribution on March 26, 1998, from Karina Allen a lobbyist registered with the Board. The supplemental note acknowledges the Committee's acceptance of both contributions.
This matter was considered by the Board in executive sessions on December 14, 1999. No one requested to appear before the Board on behalf of the Committee.
Based on the record before it, the Board issues the following:
STATEMENT OF THE EVIDENCE
1. The Humphrey for Governor Committee reported accepting a $100 contribution on March 6, 1998, from CUVOL, a registerd political fund, and a $50 contribution on March 26, 1998, from Karina Allen, a registered lobbyist. The regular 1998 Legislative Session was held from January 20, to April 9, 1998.
2. The Committee's treasurer acknowledged acceptance of the prohibited contributions during the Regular Legislative Session when she filed the Committee's Report of Receipts and Expenditures covering January 1, through December 31, 1998.
3. Board records show that this is the first calendar year in which the Humphrey for Governor Committee reported acceptance of contributions from registered lobbyists, political committees or political funds during the regular legislative session.
Based on the above Statement of the Evidence, the Board makes the following:
FINDING CONCERNING PROBABLE CAUSE
There is probable cause to believe that the Humphrey for Governor Committee violated Minn. Stat. 10A.065 by accepting contributions from CUVOL, a registered political fund and Karina Allen, a registered lobbyist, during the regular session of the Legislature in 1998.
Based on the above Finding Concerning Probable Cause, the Board issues the following:
1. In lieu of forwarding the above public finding of probable cause to the county attorney in Ramsey County to pursue a judgment in district court, the Board imposes civil fines totaling $150, representing a $100 civil fine for acceptance of a $100 contribution from CUVOL and a $50 civil fine for acceptance of a $50 contribution from Karina Allen during the regular 1998 Legislative Session.
2. The Humphrey for Governor Committee is directed to forward to the Board payment of the civil fines totaling $150, by check or money order payable to the STATE OF MINNESOTA, within thirty days after receipt of this order.
3. If the Humphrey for Governor Committee does not comply with the provisions of this order, the Board's Executive Director shall refer this matter to the Ramsey County Attorney for civil enforcement pursuant to Minn. Stat. 10A.273.
4. The Board investigation of this matter is entered into the public record in accordance with Minn. Stat. 10A.02, subd. 11, and upon payment by the Humphrey for Governor Committee of the civil fines imposed herein, the matter is concluded.
Dated: December 14, 1999
Sidney Pauly, chair
Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board