STATE OF MINNESOTA
CAMPAIGN FINANCE AND PUBLIC DISCLOSURE BOARD
FINDINGS IN THE MATTER OF
A CONTRIBUTION DURING THE REGULAR 2004 LEGISLATIVE SESSION
BY STEPHANIE L. FROST
On August 9, 2004, the Friends of Marc Kimball Committee notified the Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board (“the Board”) that it had accepted a $25 contribution from Stephanie L. Frost, a registered lobbyist, during the regular 2004 legislative session.
In a letter to the Board received August 13, 2004, Stephanie L. Frost stated, “I did inadvertently make a contribution to the Marc Kimball campaign during the legislative session.”
The contribution was made on February 14, 2004. The regular 2004 legislative session was held from February 2, 2004, to May 16, 2004. On August 9, 2004, the Friends of Marc Kimball Committee provided the Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board with a copy of a check dated July 30, 2004, returning the $25 contribution to Ms. Frost.
This matter was considered by the Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board (“Board”) in executive session on August 27, 2004.
Based on the record before it, the Board issues the following:
1. Stephanie L. Frost, a registered lobbyist, made a $25 contribution to the Friends of Marc Kimball Committee on February 14, 2004.
2. Minn. Stat. §10A.273, subd. 1, (b), prohibits a lobbyist from making a contribution to a principal candidate committee during a regular session of the legislature. The regular 2004 legislative Session was held from February 2, 2004, to May 16, 2004.
3. The Friends of Marc Kimball Committee returned the $25 contribution to Ms. Frost.
Based on the above Statement of the Evidence, the Board makes the following:
FINDING CONCERNING PROBABLE CAUSE
There is probable cause to believe that Stephanie L. Frost violated Minn. Stat. §10A.273, subd. 1, (b), by making a contribution to a principal campaign committee during the regular session of the legislature in 2004.
Based on the above Finding Concerning Probable Cause, the Board issues the following:
1. In lieu of forwarding the above public finding of probable cause to the county attorney in Ramsey County to pursue a judgment in district court, the Board imposes a civil penalty of $25 on Stephanie L. Frost for making a contribution during the regular 2004 legislative session.
2. Stephanie L. Frost is directed to forward to the Board payment of the civil penalty, by check or money order payable to the STATE OF MINNESOTA, within thirty days after receipt of this order.
3. If Stephanie L. Frost does not comply with the provisions of this order, the Board’s Executive Director shall refer this matter to the Ramsey County Attorney for civil enforcement pursuant to Minn. Stat. § 10A.273.
4. The Board investigation of this matter is entered into the public record in accordance with Minn. Stat. §10A.02, subd. 11, and upon payment by Stephanie L. Frost of the civil penalty imposed herein, the matter is concluded.
Dated: August 27, 2004 __________________________________
Wil Fluegel, Chair
Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board