STATE OF MINNESOTA
CAMPAIGN FINANCE AND PUBLIC DISCLOSURE BOARD
In the matter of (Tom) Osthoff Volunteer Committee (#10016):
Pursuant to Minn. Stat. §10A.28, subd. 3, the Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board and Representative Tom Osthoff hereby agree as follows:
1. The (Tom) Osthoff Volunteer Committee accepted two contributions from Gerald Seck, (#5839), $500 on January 22, 2002, and $250 on June 17, 2002. The total amount of these contributions, $750, exceeded by $250 the applicable $500 election year contribution limit, as set out in Minn. Stat. §10A.27, subd. (a) (5). The amount of the excess contributions was not returned to the contributor within 60 days as required by Minn. Stat. §10A.15, subd. 3.
2. By letter dated January 13, 2003, Tom Osthoff stated "I sincerely apologize for making this error. As you are aware, I did not run for re-election in 2002, nor do I intend to be a candidate in the future. I have terminated my committee and have closed my campaign committee bank account as of December 27, 2002."
3. Board records show that this is the first calendar year in which the (Tom) Osthoff Volunteer Committee reported acceptance of contributions which in total exceeded the applicable individual contribution limit. The (Tom) Osthoff Volunteer Committee has been registered with the Board since July, 1974.
4. The parties agree that the (Tom) Osthoff Volunteer Committee accepted cumulatively-excessive contributions resulting in an inadvertent violation of Minn. Stat. §10A.27, subd. 1 (a)(5) in calendar year 2002.
5. Tom Osthoff agrees to return to the contributor, Gerald Seck, $250, one times the amount by which the contribution exceeded the applicable limit, and to forward a copy of the check and the accompanying letter returning the contribution to the Board within sixty days after the date this conciliation agreement is signed by the Board Chair.
6. It is further understood and agreed that this Agreement is confidential until signed by Tom Osthoff and the Board Chair; the signed Agreement then shall become a matter of public record, and the statutory requirement of confidentiality shall no longer apply. Minn. Stat. §§10A.02, subd. 11 and 10A.28, subd. 3.
Approved by the Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board
By Dated: 1/22/03
Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board, Chair