STATE OF MINNESOTA
CAMPAIGN FINANCE AND PUBLIC DISCLOSURE BOARD
In the matter of the Citizens for (Dan) Sparks Committee, (#15675)
Pursuant to Minn. Stat. §10A.28, subd. 3, the Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board and Senator Dan Sparks hereby agree as follows:
1. During 2002, the Citizens for (Dan) Sparks Committee accepted $11,387.50 in contributions from special sources. These sources include registered lobbyists from whom the Committee accepted $2,987.50, political committees or political funds from which the Committee accepted $7,000, and large givers, as defined in Minn. Stat. §10A.27, subd. 11, from whom the Committee accepted $1,400. The total amount of these contributions exceeded by $439.50 the applicable limit on aggregate contributions from special sources, which for this candidate was $10,948. The amount of the excess contributions was not returned to the contributors within 60 days as required by Minn. Stat. §10A.15, subd. 3.
2. By letter dated March 27, 2003, Linda F. Unverzagt, treasurer, stated, "Because Senator Sparks was a first time candidate, I was assuming this total was $12,042.80 not $10,948. I apologize for this error.”
3. Board records show that this is the first calendar year in which the Citizens for (Dan) Sparks Committee reported acceptance of contributions which exceeded the applicable aggregate contribution limit. The Citizens for (Dan) Sparks Committee registered with the Board on April 16, 2002.
4. The parties agree that the Citizens for (Dan) Sparks Committee accepted excessive contributions from special sources resulting in an inadvertent violation of Minn. Stat. §10A. 27, subd. 11, in calendar year 2002.
5. Senator Sparks hereby agrees to return to donors of the contributions, described in paragraph one, an amount sufficient to bring the committee in compliance with Minn. Stat. 10A.27, subd. 11. Copies of the checks and the accompanying letters returning he contributions must be forwarded to the Board within 30 days after the date this Conciliation Agreement is signed by the Board chair.
6. It is agreed by the parties that providing the Board with copies of the checks returning the contributions, and this Conciliation Agreement will be a bar to any civil proceeding under Minn. Stat. §10A.28, subds. 3 & 4.
7. It is further understood and agreed that this Agreement is confidential until signed by Senator Sparks and the Board Chair; the signed Agreement then shall become a matter of public record, and the statutory requirement of confidentiality shall no longer apply. Minn. Stat. §§10A.02, subd. 11 and 10A.28, subd. 3.
Senator Dan Sparks
Approved by the Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board
By Dated: 5/8/03
Clyde Miller, chair
Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board